Thursday, May 22, 2014

S50-KBOI
Auburn, WA to Boise, ID

 Completed my preflight checks like a boss, the aircraft is in top notch shape and ready for this trip. Loaded myself and my bags, and brimmed the tanks. I love how you can adjust all the weights on the ground without having to use the clunky FSX UI. Keeping my motto of “Realism mostly when it’s convenient”, I made the pilot weigh 135lbs and I’m carrying 50 lbs of luggage. Even with full tanks I’m well under my MTOW. After a quick double check it was time to takeoff. After an unusually long takeoff roll (I forgot to use full power till about 1/3rd of the way down the runway) we got into the air just fine and set a course of 104 to the Yakima VOR.
 

About to take off.
 

In the air finally, nice view of Mt Rainier and Lake Tapps.
 

Mt Rainier up close.

Had a slight problem somewhere over the Cascades, I was leaning the plane out to see how much range I could get out of it (had it stable at 800nm) but as I got a bit more greedy I guess I over did it. I felt a rough bang and the engine sputtered and almost died, luckily I acted fast and went full rich to prevent a loss of power. Currently have the engine at 50% lean, 2100rpm and am using 7gph for a total range of 763nm at 11.000 ft. G/S is 121 knots. Leaving the Cascades, 28nm from YKM.  Cabin got pretty chilly so I had to turn on the heater.


Over Yakima.
 

Somewhere over Eastern WA.


Hour in so far, everything seems to be running smoothly.  My VAC gauge is a little low, but still in the green so I’m not sure if I should be worried or not. I will have to keep an eye on it. Well into Eastern WA by now. My EGT is pretty low so I’m tempted to lean it out some more, but the memory of my near-fail over the Cascades stays my hand. Getting a little turbulence now, and it’s throwing the plane around like crazy. Will have to hand fly for awhile.

 

Absolutely stunning visual model+Accusim Physics= Epic Win.

Just crossed into Oregon. Turbulence isn’t as bad, will go back to autopilot. Nothing major to report. Picked up a headwind which is killing my range, but still have way more than enough gas to make it.
We have made it to Idaho. 60nm from our destination. Experiencing random moments of insane wind shear and turbulence and it’s jostling me about pretty well. Somehow I can “feel” how light this plane is much better than the FSX Default 172. A2A have really done some amazing work on this plane. Between this and the CLS MD-88, it’s spoiled me to the point where I don’t think I can ever go back to the regular FSX planes that feel lifeless and boring. I’ve never flown a real plane before but this definitely feels right, almost intuitive. It’s like flying the BMW on iRacing, completely natural. Now 30nm out, starting my descent.


That moment of panic when you can't spot the airport....


....that moment of relief when you finally do.


On approach.


Here goes nothing!

Landing was okay. Wasn’t too hard but I didn’t flare enough and put the nose down first. I’m lucky it didn’t break. I’d say this flight was a success, and I’m looking forward to next time.


Made it okay, but could have gone very bad.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment