Thursday, May 22, 2014

KBUU-KDTW
Burlington, WI to Detriot, MI
Distance: 227.3 nm
Estimated Fuel Burn: 13 gal
ETE: 1:51

Time for a nice evening flight across Lake Michigan. We shouldn’t burn too much fuel so I’m going to have my cruising altitude a little lower tonight at 9.000 ft. We will be landing at Detroit Metro-Wayne County, in good old Motor City, USA. Let’s just hope we don’t get murdered!




Take off went smoothly again, I’m slowly starting to worry less and less about the systems and it’s becoming more natural to me. Autopilot was giving me a weird oscillation on climb so I hand flew it up to cruising altitude. I was going to try hand flying the whole way, but over Lake Michigan I couldn’t get a good reference point to tell me if I was level or not so I was always tilted to one side or the other. Thankfully the oscillation was gone at cruising altitude. I’m starting to think about where I want to go after Detroit, so far I’m thinking of going north into Canada. The scenery has got to be more interesting and maybe I can get some proper bush flying experience before the trials of the Arctic and North Atlantic. If you have any ideas for a good scenic route between Detroit and Greenland, please leave a comment and let me know. I know pretty much nothing about what there is in Canada.




Approaching Lake Michigan

Lake Michigan is big. Like, really big. It’s crazy when you can look around in all directions and only see water, yet you’re in the middle of North America. Got tons of great pictures of the sunset. After about 45 minutes I reached Grand Rapids, and caught a really nice picture of it right as the sun was going down. Making really good time on this trip, G/S is now 135 kts. Will start a gradual descent over Lansing to eke some extra speed out of it.


Grand Rapids at Dusk
 

Landing

I got 144kts ground speed out of her. Approach and landing into Detroit was nothing remarkable. Plane is still in good shape. Am I ready for Canada?

2 comments:

  1. So....I guess your series has ended? Haven´t read anything in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, not over. Finals week plus moving into a new place plus being sick plus work has left me with little time recently. On break now though so I'll be posting more. I've decided not to do the 5+ hour flights cause those were brutal. The longest one will be crossing into Greenland and crossing the Bering Sea, other than that I'm aiming for 2.5 hours tops.

    ReplyDelete