Thursday, May 22, 2014

KLNK-KBUU
Lincoln, Nebraska to Burlington, Wisconsin
Distance: 397.2 nm
Estimated Fuel Burn: 23.2 gal
ETE: 3:18

Perfect flying weather today, not a cloud in the sky. We’ll reach the Great Lakes today, that will make for some pretty nice scenery as long as the weather stays nice. There is some pretty nasty weather to our south but I think we’ll avoid the worst of it. I recently got REX+Overdrive and the weather radar is just fantastic and the textures are awesome looking. I never thought there could be so many different types of sky or water!


Perfect Weather
 

Just after T/O
 

After the clouds kicked in.




The clouds did roll in a little bit but we’re above them at 11,000 feet. I may have misjudged Nebraska on the previous leg, cause in there conditions it looks amazing. I’m really hoping the conditions remain like this, it turns out my math for fuel was cutting it a bit close so if we pick up a good headwind we might not make it all the way, and that even with the awesome mileage I get leaned out all the way.


We are now past the OVR VOR and back into clear skies.


The mid-west: pretty much this for 5 hours.
 
About to leave Iowa, and I thought Nebraska was boring. I don’t get how people can live out here, I’ve been seeing the exact same thing for 2 hours now.


Wisconsin


Crossed into Illinois/Wisconsin.  Much more interesting to look at. Started my descent with 36 nm to KBUU, keeping a steady 700ft/min. Using my handy approach chart from skyvector.com, I lined myself up with the runway at the correct altitude very easily. I’d say that this was probably my best approach ever in FSX, but an unfortunate REX update at flare height made it one of my worst landings ever. Just as I’m about to start my flare, a sudden burst of wind propelled me skyward 100 ft. After much over correcting I got it tamed again, and just barely put the plane down by the end of the runway. Truth be told I probably should have gone for a missed approach, but I wasn’t really thinking much more than “dontcrashdontcrashdontcrash.” It’s amazing how much I care about this plane. Even though I could just rebuild everything and start fresh if I crash it feels wrong to do it like that.





Next stop, Detroit!

No comments:

Post a Comment